The recent tragic accident involving Rueben Bain, a projected top-10 pick in the 2026 NFL Draft, has brought attention to the potential consequences of off-field incidents on a player's career. Bain's involvement in a fatal traffic collision in Miami in March 2024, which resulted in the death of passenger Destiny Betts, has raised concerns among league sources and teams about his draft position and future in the NFL.
Bain, a sophomore at the University of Miami, was driving on Interstate 95 in Miami at 4 am when his vehicle struck another car and then careened into concrete barriers. The police crash report states that Bain "operated his vehicle in a careless or negligent manner." One of the four passengers in Bain's car, Destiny Betts, suffered incapacitating injuries and was rushed to the Ryder Trauma Center, where she died on June 13, 2024, after spending almost three months in a coma.
The incident has not been previously reported, and it remains unclear if it will affect Bain's draft position. However, multiple league sources have confirmed that they are aware of the incident and are continuing to investigate. One source told The Read Optional, "It feels like it could be [Laremy Tunsil] all over again. It doesn’t feel like [Bain] has been transparent with us."
The comparison to Laremy Tunsil is significant. In 2016, Tunsil entered the draft as the projected No. 1 pick. Shortly before the draft, his social media accounts were hacked and posted videos of him smoking through a gas mask bong and lobbying his college coaches for payments. As teams attempted to gather information in real-time, he fell to the No. 13 pick.
The incident has also raised concerns about the financial strain on Betts' family. Her family wrote on a GoFundMe page, "Aside from the emotional toll that this has taken, the financial strain on her dad has been overwhelming. He has had to take time off work to be by Destiny’s side, missing out on crucial income during this already expensive time in Miami."
The careless driving charge against Bain was dismissed by a court approximately two weeks before Betts' death, while she remained in a coma. No finding of criminal liability has been made in connection with the crash or her death.
The incident has sparked a broader conversation about the importance of transparency and accountability in the NFL. Teams are now more cautious and are waiting for further revelations about Bain, citing recent incidents involving Henry Ruggs, James Pearce, Jalen Carter, and Rashee Rice as giving them pause. One source told The Read Optional, "We are still looking. We need more details."
The future of Bain's career remains uncertain, and the NFL community is closely watching the situation. The incident has also raised questions about the role of off-field incidents in the draft process and the importance of transparency and accountability in the NFL.
In conclusion, the tragic accident involving Rueben Bain and Destiny Betts has brought attention to the potential consequences of off-field incidents on a player's career. The NFL community is closely watching the situation, and the future of Bain's career remains uncertain. The incident has sparked a broader conversation about the importance of transparency and accountability in the NFL.